Thursday, November 6, 2014

Oils on a budget

How to build your oil collection on a budget

FYI – sort of a long winding post…..


So you've tried a few essential oils and decided you like “this”, this thing called essential oils. But, they aren't cheap. I mean, that’s a lot of money for a little tiny bottle. I get it, I do. But once you start to realize the unbelievable versatility and natural power that bottle holds – you are drawn to them. Then, the next step happens; you realize that you haven't taken ___________ (insert over the counter medication you used to live on here) in over a month. Now you know they are worth every penny, especially since you are saving money on OTC medications. That’s it, now you're hooked! Every time you read an EO ‘recipe’ on-line, you try to figure a way to get the oils to make it. When there is an “Item of the Week” special, you want it. When you smell a new oil at your friend’s house, you know you need it. You also know (I hope) that high quality, pure essential oils are critical if you are going to begin using them for your health. It's a safety issue.  A plan is needed….


 O.K maybe that was just me. I'll admit, once I decide to do something, I jump all in. Just my nature. But I will say that this time, it was different. Unlike jewelry making, scrapbooking, sewing, or even crochet, this was more than a hobby. More than a pastime or something to keep my brain moving. This was deeply affecting the quality of my life, my health. Essential oils changed the way I was thinking about health, illness, and how to treat it. I wasn't just collecting oils like beads or scrapbook paper. I was wanting to build my “medicine” cabinet for my family. How was I going to do that on a budget?

First, let me explain what I mean by a budget. My husband (Bob) and I run a pretty tight ship on our spending. It needs to be that way in order to feed/house/feed/insure/feed/support 4 teenage boys. That means, I have free reign to buy the necessities, but I don’t just buy that really cute purse at Target because it is on sale and a great deal.  I have a certain amount I spend on certain categories weekly. Outside of that, it needs to come from my “allowance”, or I have to ask (he’s sweet, he says yes if we can – but I try not to ask for non-necessities often).

The essential oil collection I've built has happened over the past 10 months. It moved very slowly in the beginning... I used my allowance to buy a bottle here and there. Usually ingredients to a “recipe” for one of my ailments.  At this point in my addiction journey, I knew Bob didn't see the medicinal side of essential oils. He still saw it as a new hobby. Sure, they smelled nice but

I started my collection with almost all 5ml bottles (this killed me because I knew the 15ml bottle was a better deal), but it enabled me to get started. That is one of the distinct advantages of Spark Naturals. They want oils to be affordable, especially to those new to oils, so each oils is offered in both a 5 ml and 15ml bottle. 

Last Christmas and birthday (December 23rd and 25th) I asked for oils. My mom ordered me $50 of oils and sweet hubby got me the OOTM club for Christmas – score!.

By March I had signed up as a SN affiliate so that I got the 10% discount on what I bought, AND I earned commission on the same purchase. Legitimate double dipping? Why yes, yes I will, thank you very much! Once a month a check would come and I would spend the whole thing (minus tithe)and plus my allowance, on oils.

By May, Bob and I were both using the LLP allergy capsules daily. He was a believer in those at least. I figured out the monthly cost of them, and asked him if he could please pay that amount out of our joint money because it was a medical expense and my allowance wasn't covering it. Good news was we had cut the medical expense of RX and OTC allergy meds and Tylenol.  


Then in the end of May I had to resign my job and my essential oil buying slowed because my allowance substantially diminished. Now I only had commission check to spend so the wait to purchase sometimes killed me! But patience is good. (Plus I still get the OOTM from Bob, it was my Christmas present after all).

Bob now believes in essential oils as he has seen them work for many things (the pain salve and cold and flu bomb were the other ones that won him over). Since we have been able to cut several medical expenses due to the oils, when I NEED an oil I can ask for family budget money to cover it. However, I've built a good collection so usually, they are wants.


When I want an oil here are some ways I can make them fit my budget….

  1. Ask for them as a gift for Christmas/birthday/holiday
  2. Split the cost of a better value 15ml bottle with a friend then split the bottle (if you live close and need an empty bottle to use – I'm happy to give you one)
  3. Buy the smaller 5ml bottle for the time being - some oils I use infrequently and this is plenty
  4. Share the cost of other accessories or carrier oils with a friend. Another person starting out with you will often be trying to cut costs too. 
  5. Pool an order with some friends to get free shipping (shipping on orders over $55 is free)
  6. Take advantage of OOTM club and weekly specials.
  7. Spend my commission check (here is how you sign up as an affiliate)
  8. Substitute a lesser expensive oil with similar properties (great list here)
  9. Keep track of money I used to spend on other medical expenses and reallocate it to the EO budget
  10. Make your own blends. Camp Wander did some great recipes here  in this post. or DIY Dream, or mix equal parts Zen and Bliss to make LXR
  11. Sell old craft supplies I no longer use and put that money towards building my oil collection
  12. For that matter, have a garage sale to build funds for oils
  13. I share about oils all the time with people and sometimes they use my code and I earn a commission
  14. Honestly, I really look at what I spend money on. I think, “do I want this more than an essential oil I was wanting” for me, the answer is often no. So then I go spend it on the oil instead of the purse/shoes/lunch out etc. 

If you have ways you have built up your oil collection on a budget, please share in the comments. I would love to hear additional ways!

Wendy 

No comments:

Post a Comment